Tesla will recall more than 130,000 cars after pressure from regulators

Tesla Model S 75.

Source: Tesla Motors

Following pressure from US regulators, Tesla is recalling 134,951 Model S and Model X vehicles with touchscreen issues that led to the loss of several safety-related features.

The cars manufactured at Tesla’s factory in Fremont, California, were Model S sedans manufactured between 2012 and 2018 and Model X SUVs in the 2016 to 2018 model years.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration asked Tesla on January 13 to call in 158,716 of its electric vehicles after concluding that the problems pose safety issues related to the center console screen.

“The wear condition of the eMMC controller can display loss of the rear camera, defrosting / defrosting government settings, and the outside of the flashlights, which reduces visibility and increases the risk of an accident,” NHTSA said.

Owners of the Tesla vehicles in question had earlier told CNBC that the display on their media control units would sometimes, partially or completely, be empty. The touchscreen issues have the drivers’ ability to use heat, air conditioning, defrost and unmasking systems, or to use their rear lock cameras and Tesla Autopilot features while parking and driving.

The difference between NHTSA’s figure and Tesla’s recall was not immediately apparent.

As part of the recall, Tesla will upgrade the eMMC controller part in the car for free. The recall is expected to begin on March 30, and unlike many Tesla updates, this solution cannot be done remotely.

Lora Kolodny of CNBC contributed to this report.

.Source