Portugal’s President de Sousa tests positive for coronavirus

LISBON – Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, who is running for a second term on January 24, tested positive for the coronavirus but has so far shown no symptoms, his office said on Monday.

The 72-year-old planned one major presidential debate for Tuesday, as well as a meeting with health experts to discuss the details of a proposed closure to be announced on Wednesday, but his office said he had canceled all his public appearances. .

In a statement shared on its official website, the office of Rebelo de Sousa said the president had already notified Prime Minister Antonio Costa and Health Minister Marta Temido of the situation.

Rebelo de Sousa will isolate himself in his official residence in Lisbon, the statement said.

His positive test result comes after he tested negative on January 6 after being in contact with someone who was infected and thus resumed his work schedule.

.Source