Virtual gap allowed thousands of people to cut the COVID-19 vaccine line at Beaumont

(WXYZ) – The vaccination race continues in southeastern Michigan, despite a hiccup on Beaumont Health that resulted in the cancellation of nearly 3,000 appointments.

According to the health system, someone found a virtual gap in the scheduling system that enabled them to cut the line. Although vaccination efforts will increase in Wayne County this week.

Beaumont said someone found a weak stop in the epic software, the electronic medical record system, and then shared an unauthorized path that allowed them to bypass the state’s priority vaccination group and just make an appointment. .

The health system discovered and closed it over the weekend, but 2,700 people had already planned their appointments, it sounds like they did not realize they were breaking rules.

Beaumont said it would not interrupt ongoing vaccine efforts, and notified the National Epic Office to prevent it from happening elsewhere.

“These appointments violate the ethical distribution framework created by Beaumont, based on the mandatory vaccination guidelines of the State of Michigan. We regret that 2,700 people in our community have been the victims of this unfortunate incident, ”Beaumont Health’s senior VP said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Wayne County said it was receiving nearly 8,400 doses of the vaccine this week, which is almost double the shipment last week.

“Although we are excited to see that our allocation has increased, we are still concerned that we are not getting a fair and equitable distribution,” said Genelle Allen, COO.

The supply was a problem for Wayne County, which was sent weekly ranging from less than 1,000 doses to about 5,000 doses. CEO Warren Evans said it delayed efforts to vaccinate essential workers and those over 65.

“I would love to get it, but I do not mind waiting my turn. I know it is currently in short supply,” said Joan Bellemare of Plymouth.

Starting Tuesday, the new doses will help vaccinate K-12 teachers.

“We just want to make sure our Wayne County residents get their fair and equitable share,” Allen added.

As for Beaumont, the health system said that anyone who made an appointment due to this gap will be notified that their appointment has been canceled.

.Source