Pet food recalled after death of at least 28 dogs

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recalled certain types of Sportmix pet food due to toxic levels of aflatoxin. Regulators said Wednesday they are aware of at least 28 dogs that have died from the poisonous form and at least eight that are sick.

Alphatoxin is produced by a form that can grow on maize and other grains used as ingredients in pet food. The Missouri Department of Agriculture tested samples of Sportmix varieties and found very high levels of the toxin.

Symptoms of alpha-toxin poisoning in pets include inertia, loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice and / or diarrhea. Those whose pets have eaten Sportmix products are advised to call their veterinarian, especially if their pets show symptoms.

According to the FDA, there is no evidence that people who handle the food are at risk of alpha-toxin poisoning. Click here for more information on the recall.

In October, pet food company Sunshine Mills Inc “target =” _ blank “rel =” noopener “> expanded the recall of products containing high levels of alpha toxin.