FDA recalls Sportmix pet food after 28 dogs died from poisonous mold

The Food and Drug Administration has recalled some pet food from Sportmix after at least 28 dogs died and eight others fell ill with products with a high level of toxic form.

The agency warned pet owners and animal specialists on Wednesday that certain varieties of the brand’s pet food could contain ‘potentially deadly levels of aflatoxin.’

Aflatoxin is a form that can grow on corn and other grains used in pets, the agency said.

The agency said symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include lethargy, loss of appetite, diarrhea and vomiting.

Pet owners whose animals have eaten the recalled Sportmix products – which are listed on the FDA’s website – are asked to contact their veterinarians.

The FDA said it is working with the Missouri Department of Agriculture to determine if additional products are also potentially harmful.

“Although this recall of pet food is still unfolding, we share the facts we have had so far because the levels of aflatoxin found in the recalled pet food are potentially deadly,” said Dr. Amber McCoig, Deputy Director of the FDA’s Center for the Division of Veterinary Science. of compliance, said in a statement.